PAT ( Parent ABA Training )
This program is designed to empower parent(s) who would like to take charge and play a hands on role in teaching their child with autism. This is designed to be a 6 hours per day, 8 – 12 week intensive program which covers learning basic principles of Applied Behavior Analysis, learning by observation and training to the parent to teach his/ her child with autism using ABA procedures. Parents are trained on various scientific teaching procedures based on
Applied Behavior Analysis in a BMI center. A typical day would begin with a meeting with a senior professional who explains key theoretical principles which is then followed by the senior professional guiding the parent to train her child. The parent would also observe other trainers working with children with autism to see the principles being applied . This would be followed by a second session where a senior professional further coaches the parent in teaching her child. Practical orientation is also given on best practices, data taking, graphing, monitoring progress and working to a consultant's direction ( treatment integrity) diligently.
The scope of training covers :
- Key principles of Applied Behavior Analysis
- Pairing positively with the child
- Training the child to request – Mand training
- Gaining instructional control
- Teaching skills specifically identified as targets for the child based on assessment( example- learning body parts, following specific and functional instructions, objects and people in environment etc.)
- Problem solving in case of non compliance
- Data taking, monitoring child's progress and reporting
Parents can then expect to learn teaching procedures and the basic principles of ABA to a degree where they can work with their own child with ongoing supervision from a qualified consultant. It should be emphasized that this is no way qualifies or otherwise equips the parent to work with their own child or other children without ongoing professional supervision and consultation.
To build awareness and build practical skills for parents, carers & professionals and providing latest evidence based information on various topics, our team of professionals conduct 1-2 day workshops. Our past workshops conducted at Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Delhi, Kolkata, Madurai in collaboration with various NGO's have focused on the following topics.
- Mand training
- Teaching communication to non-vocal children using evidence based practice
- How to run an ABA intervention program at home
- Understanding & Dealing with challenging behaviors
- Advanced communication skill development in children with autism
- Developing Self Help skills
- Developing Play skills in children with autism
- Introduction to Verbal Behavior
Weekend Group Training
This is a parent run initiative at BMI which runs over 2 hour sessions over 10 Saturdays. Parents are introduced to ABA principles and practice so they can carry forward the programs at home.